Pain Area and aspects to be considered:-
- How can customer achieve 99.999% uptime for Mission Critical Applications?
- Who will provide the IP block (subnet)?
- Will it be a cost effective solution?
- Can customer get same OWN IP block from APNIC?
- What happen will if any location Internet connectivity goes down?
- How many ports required to connecting Internet connections on CPE?
- Why point to point connectivity between each location?
- Which protocol runs between both the CPE’s?
Solution Proposed – Internet locations with different subnet
Since Internet is one of useful resource for any organization for communication, every customer expected less downtime and better services from ISP. Since this is fastest medium of communication hence all the companies are deploying Internet as connectivity to grow their network. Today’s technology supports Internet over various platforms like Broadband, Internet over Leased Line.
This is detail scenario where customer has Internet connectivity from Single Service Provider at his 2 different locations and wanted to use OWN IP Subnet (Independent assigned IP Address) from both the locations because there are different mission critical applications which are hosted on both of the locations which would be access by the users seamlessly. Customer want redundancy also where if any location Internet connectivity goes down in that case users would still able to access the applications without any failure.
Proposed solution – since customer has OWN IP subnet from APNIC best way to split the subnet and assigned IP address independently to each application and advertise them into BGP from that corresponding location. Take Point to Point connectivity from any Service provider and terminate them into their existing Internet Router for redundancy. In ideal scenario users would be able to access the application particularly from that location where application is physically hosted and if that location isolate because of Internet link failure, still users would be able to access that particular location from point to point connectivity. Customer will advertise OWN IP Subnet block to ISP Internet Cloud from both the location and /25 IP’s Pool individually from both the locations to ISP Internet cloud. Configure iBGP with Attributes on both the CPE’s (Point to Point Connectivity).Customer should have Router which supports BGP protocol with required no of ports (2 Routed port + 1 Layer2 port).
- Better Up time.
- CE-PE Routing protocol should be eBGP with Public AS No towards ISP cloud.
- Point to Point connectivity should be terminated on to the same router where Internet link is terminated.
- Configure IP address independently to each application and advertise them into BGP from that corresponding location.
- Customer will advertise OWN IP Subnet block to ISP Internet Cloud from both the location and /25 IP’s Pool individually from both the locations to ISP Internet cloud.
- Configure iBGP with Attributes on both the CPE’s (Point to Point Connectivity).
- Now Users would reach Customer’s Server through /25 IP Pool which has been advertise on BGP individually from that location and if any location Internet connectivity goes down traffic comes through 2nd location and access the Server through Point to Point connectivity.